Backwards as Backwards Can Be

I read something in the J-G about how a couple of city council members are really upset about the Harry Baals name controversy. I'd like to say something to them: calm the fuck down. It's no wonder young people want to leave this town. We don't have a sense of humor, and we are basically embarrassed about a dead guy's name. Oh, the HORROR! Listen: this town is full of hypocritical prudes. That's right, hypocritical prudes. Harry Baals has gotten FW worldwide attention, and instead of maybe making a video about the good things about this town (great library, cheap real estate, close to REAL cities, decent hockey team) the city's leaders hang their heads in shame, saying all the attention is "inappropriate, embarrassing" etc. We can't BUY the kind of publicity we've received. And isn't it a little strange that we are upset about a mayor with a funny name that got a shitload of votes, yet we aren't too concerned that we have an awful lot of strip clubs and tons of restaurants? No, we can be fat, we can have strippers, that's perfectly fine. But have a mayor with a funny name get recognition? Holy Monikers, Batman!

This town is Loserville. If you want to have a mundane job and head up to the lake every weekend, this town is for you. If you want something more in your life, you'll have to leave.

I've been told by a couple of people that I shouldn't give up on my dream to move to Canada. In the last couple years, I haven't thought about it, but lately, I've been thinking about how happy I am there, and maybe I shouldn't give up on moving there. Don't know how, don't know when, but this humorless, boring town is sapping my energy.

Comments

Darcy said…
I found my bully on one of those crappy yearbook sites and confronted him. He denied the bullying and even said I bullied him. He never missed an opportunity to make fun of me. Clearly he will live his life ignorant of the fact he is a total jackass. Some people just don't get it.
Gloria said…
Wow. That's terrible. And you're right, some people just don't get it. Being bullied has done a number on my head and has damaged me in a number of ways.

Thanks for posting!

Popular posts from this blog

Drugs and Drink And God: An Interview with Sarah Katherine Lewis

Some Thoughts on American Dirt, Cultural Identity, Cultural Appropriation and other Assorted Nonsense in My Life