Some Thoughts on 2010

I spent Christmas Eve doing some last minute shopping with a friend. Id’ stopped by her house to drop off her gift, and she made a comment about having to get a gift. I said she’d better hurry, because it was five to three. She asked if I wanted to come along, and we spent a pleasant couple hours looking at stuff. I got home and put everything away and I got ready to go for a walk with Daphne.
Then there was a knock on my door. A truck was parked in the driveway and I figured it was a neighbor. No, it was a scraggly looking guy who gave me an ornament. “It’s a light for your tree,” he said. I took it, reluctantly. Never mind that you can’t see my tree from the front windows. He asked me if I’d seen something out at Village at Coventry, and I said no. While he was talking nonsense, I discreetly locked the screen door.
He left, and I waited to see if he would visit any of my other neighbors. No. He backed down the driveway and drove off.
Nothing happened. I’ve got a rather run-of-the-mill ornament. But my paranoia reared its ugly head. Who was this guy? And why did he decide I needed an ornament? And what if, when I reached my hand out the door to take the ornament, he’d grabbed me and abducted me? This shit happens. This guy is probably harmless, but I thought it was weird.
Earlier, my friend had asked me if I’d been on any dating sites. I told her I hadn’t. With my work schedule, I can’t imagine anyone would be interested in dating someone without a set work schedule who works pretty much all the time. When I’m off my day job, I do prep for my other job. I told her I didn’t feel like I would meet the kind of guy I want, until I turned into the kind of woman that the kind of guy I want, wants. To be honest, I’m more concerned with my career right now. And my health.
But getting back to the dating thing: I attract strange men. Even in the comfort of my own home, I am a magnet for weirdoes. I am scared to date. I can understand zany, funny craziness, but randomly driving around handing out ornaments and saying they’re “lights”? Asking me if I’ve been to a shopping center across town to look at something? Uh, no.
It’s been a busy, eventful year. Time seems like it goes faster and faster each year. And I feel like I don’t make any real positive steps in the direction where I want to go. Oh well. It’s not been a bad year. It could have been better, but it also could have been worse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drugs and Drink And God: An Interview with Sarah Katherine Lewis

Some Thoughts on American Dirt, Cultural Identity, Cultural Appropriation and other Assorted Nonsense in My Life