Thursday 10-4-12

A most satisfying day, for the most part. I spoke with a colleague about my books, and she was impressed at how nice they looked. Prior to that, I stopped at Dollar General and was alarmed to find out that I had no money in my checking account. Nothing really new there.

Then, I killed time before having dinner with a friend. I looked around Designer Shoe Warehouse, and I was a bit pissed off. The last part of summer, I was looking for flats. Just plain flats, preferably leather, or vinyl. Four stores, and I couldn't find anything. Then, I finally went to that cheap accessory store in the mall, and found a pair of brown flats and a pair of purple flats, for $9.99 each. Then, a few days later, I found some black flats at Payless.

So then I was at DSW and was kind of pissed off. What did I see but flats. Lots of flats. Tasteful, leather flats by known designers. I've always thought I was ahead of my time when it came to fashion. Not that you'd know it to look at me, but I remember wanting stuff way before it came available. I bought a raincoat that is black, fuchsia, and yellow. It was only $4 and change, and I've not been so excited about a raincoat since my Winnie the Pooh raincoat when I was six. This coat, which I picked up at St. Vinnie's on Calhoun, is vinyl and so colorful, it practically shouts, "even though it's rainy and gloomy, I'm going to brighten up your day!" So I've become a bit obsessed by vinyl now. I'm looking for a bag to wear with it even though I need another purse like I need a hole in my head. I saw some interesting bags at DSW, a couple made out of day glo, see-through vinyl. I also saw some other bags that were ugly. They seemed like they were made out of leather-looking rubber.

I may actually buy something there. But I thought it was frustrating that I couldn't find what I wanted earlier in the summer, and scarfed up some cheaper shoes when I did find what I wanted, after a search of probably six stores.

So then I went browsing at Joann Fabrics. I wanted to find colored vinyl to see if I could whip up a tote bag. I found lots of clear vinyl, but I'll either have to order vinyl online or settle for using pleather. But for some reason, I really would like to find vinyl--beach ball, flexible, crinkly, colored vinyl to whip up a bag or two.

Then, I had dinner at Koto with a friend. The food was fabulous. I'd recommend the Black Diamond roll. I'm definitely going back there.

And now you know about my Thursday, October 4 experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drugs and Drink And God: An Interview with Sarah Katherine Lewis

Some Thoughts on American Dirt, Cultural Identity, Cultural Appropriation and other Assorted Nonsense in My Life