Daphne Moon Shadow Diaz

Born 18 July 2000    Died 20 November 2017

The above photo was taken while Daphne was still young. This is one of the best pictures I have of her.




Daphne in the backyard.

Daphne on a very hot, windy day in front of Northcrest Elementary.

Daphne relaxing in my room.

A late night selfie.


I made a calendar with Daphne. Here she is pondering Shakespeare.

Staying cool.

Looking super patriotic with a flag wrapped around her.

Daphne as a pup. Her ears still flopped. They eventually straightened out.

Favorite black and white photo of her. Mom used to take her along when she picked up my niece and nephew.

Daphne in the driver's seat. My mom is in the background.

Daphne hadn't been doing too well over the past four days or so. I tried to get her into the vet, but I couldn't. I felt bad about that. I came home and she was in my room. I put some pizza in the oven, then found her in the bathroom, confused. I brought her out to the living room, where she lay on my lap.

She seemed peaceful, relaxed, and her breathing was steady.

Then she started shaking, like she was having a stroke. I knew. I just knew. I held her in my arms as I got off the couch. She died in my arms.

Only a few minutes before, I had held her up to the mirror. I wonder if she recognized me. I wonder if she recognized herself.

I'm devastated right now. She was one of my last connections to good times in my life. 

I knew this day would come. But nothing ever prepares you for it.

I love you, Daphne. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
So sorry to hear about your loss, it's always a difficult experience.
Robert Enders said…
I'm really sorry to hear this. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Popular posts from this blog

Drugs and Drink And God: An Interview with Sarah Katherine Lewis

Some Thoughts on American Dirt, Cultural Identity, Cultural Appropriation and other Assorted Nonsense in My Life