There's a Hard Price to be Paid for Eliminating Proofreading Jobs

Over the last few years, I've noticed more and more mistakes in newspapers, in books published by well-known publishers who should know better, and as always, misspelled business signs around town.

I used the following as a teaching opportunity for one of my classes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5036643/Grammatical-error-creates-dirty-newspaper-headline.html

This is the photo of the offending, but hilarious headline:


So proud of one of my students in my co-req class, who, when I asked what sort of punctuation we would need to fix it, came up with the right answer. I also pointed out that a hyphen looks like an erect penis. Ironic, no?

Sounds like a hell of a mentoring day experience! "Hey mom, guess what I got today?"

What a hard lesson to learn. #allhyphensmatter



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drugs and Drink And God: An Interview with Sarah Katherine Lewis

Some Thoughts on American Dirt, Cultural Identity, Cultural Appropriation and other Assorted Nonsense in My Life