Another Installment of Dream Dude! (In which Gloria talks about feminist men, smoking, drinking and politics)

Gloria: What about feminist men?
Gloria: As friends, they can be mellow to be with. As a dating situation, it’s kind of tough. What gets annoying is when they tell you, “you don’t have to wear makeup,” “you don’t have to dress up.” That is basically telling you what to do, which they can’t seem to understand. Shouldn’t it be about doing what I WANT to do? And if I want to dress up, it’s going to be for me. If you’re enjoying it, fine, but I’m not doing it for you.

And dating a feminist man… I was friends with a feminist man, and it was fun, but he couldn’t understand why you can’t wear hiking boots with a dress on a job interview. Feminist men still don’t seem to understand that women are judged by their looks. If we don’t look like we’ve put a decent outfit together, it makes us look like we can’t dress appropriately for the situation. If all men were blind, we wouldn’t have this problem, but that’s not going to happen. As for dating a feminist man, I can’t imagine having him ask me, “is it okay if I hold your hand?” “Is it okay if I put my arm around you?” “Is it okay if I kiss you?” Yawn. If the guy is perceptive enough, he’s going to know if it’s okay. If we’re walking, and there’s five feet of space between us and I’m constantly veering away from you, that’s a pretty good sign that I don’t want you to touch me.

Gloria: What about smoking and drinking?
Gloria: Non-smoker. If he drinks a little, that’s okay. But if he drinks to get trashed, or is out drinking every weekend, that’s going to be an issue. Depression I can understand, but alcoholism, no.

Gloria: Politics?

Gloria: I’m progressive, so he should be progressive too, or else we’re going to be doing a whole lot of yelling. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drugs and Drink And God: An Interview with Sarah Katherine Lewis

Some Thoughts on American Dirt, Cultural Identity, Cultural Appropriation and other Assorted Nonsense in My Life